Full Moon Wesak celebrates the birth of the Buddha. It is a great time to confront the past so you can release it and start anew.
Sunday is Mother’s Day. Happy Mother’s Day to all, whether or not you have biological children. We are all creators of our own realities, therefore, all Mothers!
There are a few young people in my orbit these days. This is good for a number of reasons. They ask the best questions. They challenge me with queries about beliefs I have held for so long I stopped questioning them. The other day a young person said to me. “I’m constantly hearing teachers saying to ‘love yourself.’ But they never say how. How can I love myself more?”
Well, how do you love a child? You give a child words of love, positive reinforcement and affection. Now give that to yourself. OK, I‘ll be the first to admit I would feel silly going around hugging myself all the time. But there are other ways I love myself. Here are 3 ways to get you going on your self love journey.
But first of all, why is Self-Love so important? Self love makes life easier!
- Self-love = self-worth = self-confidence which directly affects your success in life, whether you gauge success as joy or accomplishment.
- As an adult, why would you expect anyone to love you more than you love yourself? You teach people how to treat you based on how you treat yourself.
- You attract who you are more than you attract what you think. Words can bend the truth. Vibration does not. Feeling great about yourself and treating yourself with love rolls out the red carpet in front of you. Try it.
Here are three ways to love yourself more.
- Words of Love. I often say to myself, “I love you.” I think of my sweet innocent inner child and just love up on her. “I love you. You’re awesome. You’re wonderful. There’s no one else like you. You’re loving. You’re kind. You know how to be a good friend. You always have a smile and a kind word for people. You make people laugh.”
- Positive Affirmations. I know just what to do if my inner critic is starting to get louder than my inner cheerleader. How do you treat a child? You praise that child. Raise her up. Positive reinforcement is how you get the best out of a child. Give that to yourself. Try this for a week. Pat yourself on the back for the smallest feats. “You woke up this morning. Good for you! You took a shower. Good job! You smiled at the neighbor. Nice thing to do! You fed yourself a good breakfast. Way to take care of yourself! You spoke up in that corporate meeting even though it was difficult. Look at you being courageous!”
- Self care. These are acts of kindness towards yourself. A coaching client recently told me, “Self care is not a luxury.” She found she was more focused, felt better emotionally, physically and mentally when she took time for her self care. It can take 10 minutes a day. Self care can be in the form of bubble baths, massages, manicures and pedicures, a day at your favorite garden. Self care can be meditating, taking time out to get centered and focused (Be Tao Now) or can even be in the form of writing in a journal for 10 minutes a day. Ease Your Way Into Happiness! 90 Day Joyful Journey Journal.
Here is a weeklong challenge for you. Go on a love rampage. Declare your love for yourself. Give yourself words of affirmation. Be your own biggest cheerleader. Watch your self esteem skyrocket and success come chasing after you!
Bonus: Sing love songs to yourself. No one has to know you’re singing for yourself but you! Here are a few suggestions from various decades with the appropriate You Tube links, lyrics included.
Our Love is Here to Stay – Nat King Cole 1954 https://youtu.be/Q3RjUrUk50o
Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley 1961 https://youtu.be/vGJTaP6anOU
Love and Happiness – Al Green 1972 https://youtu.be/9HAuxeQeku8Have I
Greatest love of all Whitney Houston 1985 https://youtu.be/vGJTaP6anOU
Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? – Van Morrison 1989 https://youtu.be/iMW5c1GPoPs
Allison Krauss – When You Say Nothing at all 1995 https://youtu.be/yPw_H2Rm2lM
Come Away with Me Norah Jones 2001 https://youtu.be/BqqPgA-yuuc
Ho Hey – Lumineers 2012 https://youtu.be/lL9nytKWg8U